Five Fingers of Death
Edward Gibbions in his classic study declared, "The collapse of the Roman Empire was the result of five primary causes. He listed them as follows:
As I look around at this great land called America I see a similar trend. We are indeed repeating those very things. Divorse is commonplace for the most frivilous reasons. Tax increases and extravagance are apparent everywhere. Sporting events are becoming more brutal everyday. Inspite of talk of reductions in weponry we have more than adequate to wipe out mankind. Morality is at an all time low. Religon is mere form of godliness denying the power. We are indeed in trouble as a nation and prehaps on the verge of a disatrous collapse.
- The rapid increase in divorce and the undermining of the sanctity of the home.
- The spiraling rise of taxes and extravagant spending.
- The mounting craze for pleasure and the brutilization of sports.
- The building of gigantic armaments and the failure to recognize that the real enemy is moral decay.
- The decay of religion and the fading of faith into a mere form.
If Gibbions was right we better watch out. We need to turn our eyes upon Jesus and get back to the God of our Fathers. Five icy fingers of death are threatening to choke out the life of this great country. Let us get back to God.
Scripture: "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? Psalm 11:2
Rev. W. Scott Lockard
©2003 Pastor Lockard's Living on the Bright side Ministries